Optical Coherence Tomography / Freeze Drying Microscopy
Material Thermal Response Characterization
Formulation Critical Product Temperature Characterization in a Relevant (Vial) Container Format: Collapse / Eutectic Temperature Determination
Determine product formulation collapse or eutectic melt temperature using optical scattering measurements. Enables measurement in a relevant container system rather than a thin film, providing images of temperature induced viscous flow. OCT/FDM provides more accurate critical temperature data for protein-based and high concentration formulations.
- 2D and 3D images of product structure as a function of temperature
- Indicates movement of the sublimation front and pore consolidation as an indication of collapse
- ~10 µm spatial resolution
- x/y/z field of view: ~75 µm / 4 mm / 1.5 mm
- Scan time per 5 µm / 5 µm / 7.5 µm 3D volume element: ~5 minutes
- Image times correlated with TC-based product temperature measurements to determine critical temperature
Benefit to Customer
Enables accurate determination of formulation critical temperatures in a vial, supporting the development of efficient lyophilization cycles.
Research & Developement