High Speed VNIR/SWIR Hyperspectral Imager
Hyperspectral imager (HSI)
Covering the visible/near-infrared to shortwave infrared (VNIR/SWIR) for intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions
Capability Description: PSI has developed a high speed VNIR/SWIR HSI coupled to autonomous anomaly and target detection algorithms suitable for airborne ISR applications. The novel architecture enables rapid staring-mode hyperspectral data acquisition that decouples aircraft motion from the sensor, resulting in high fidelity images. The broad spectral range (400-2500 nm) accesses multiple target phenomenologies allowing for better separation of targets from background, confusers, and clutter. The accompanying real-time target detection algorithms perform in situ characterization and elimination of spectral and spatial clutter, anomaly separation and detection, and spectral, shape and feature matching against key targets.
- The high speed VNIR/SWIR HSI is compact, low powered, and compatible with a wide array of platforms, including small commercial UASs.
- The novel architecture employs MEMS-based, programmable scanning slits enabling high hyperspectral data cube acquisition rates and staring mode operation.
- The VNIR/SWIR spectral coverage supports exploitation of multiple target phenomenologies, enabling separation of targets from background clutter and discrimination from common confusers.
The flexible HSI architecture is adaptable to different spectral ranges and standoffs addressing an array of applications, including:
- Ground and aerial ISR missions,
- Standoff chemical and explosives detection,
- Missile detection,
- Vegetation trait mapping, and
- Precision agriculture