Castable, Chopped Fiber Composites
These low-cost castable CMCs have service temperature up to 1900°F, shorter fabrication times than laminated composites, and are lightweight and easily machined.
Low-cost, castable C/SiC alternative to our laminated composites
Capability Description: PSI’s castable CMC systems provide a lower-cost option for manufactured CMCs. These components are fabricated by casting chopped carbon fiber pre-preg into billets that are then machined to shape before ceramitization. The final parts have a shorter fabrication and processing time than continuous-fiber CMCs while decreasing weight/ density and increasing service temperatures relative to metallic alloy components.
- Lower cost than continuous fiber lamination process
- Easily Machined, similarly to graphite
- Less processing cycles needed than continuous fiber preforms
- Higher thermal performance than some alloys (up to 1900°F)
- Lighter weight than alloys