Hypersonic Materials Testbed
High Temperature Materials Testing for Hypersonic Systems
High Temperature Materials Testing
Thermal Protection System Materials Testing for Hypersonic Systems
PSI’s Hypersonic Materials Testbed provides a low cost alternative to arc-jet testing to assess the performance of thermal protection system (TPS) materials under high enthalpy, high flow velocity and high heating rate conditions experienced at the leading edge of a hypersonic vehicle traveling up to Mach = 17. This unique capability incorporates PSI’s scalable (5 – 100 kW) microwave torch technology, MIDJetTM to produce a clean, high enthalpy, hypersonic flow enabling subscale (≤ 1” Φ) testing of TPS materials and measurement of oxidation /erosion rate, changes in surface and bulk material properties (including in-situ mechanical strength testing at temperature) and optical signatures.
- Compact table-top system: low-cost testing
- Clean: Microwave jet, no electrode contamination
- Relevant enthalpy (pure air on N2): 1 – 14 MJ/kg
- Relevant stagnation point temperature: 1000 – 6000 K
- Controlled heating rates: 0.25 – 1 kW/cm2
- Relevant flow velocity: Simulate Mach 3 – 16 flight
- Simulate altitudes (pump dependent): 15 – 70 km
- Heated area: ≤ 2.54 cm diameter
Benefit to Customer
Rapid turnaround, low cost testing and validation of materials for high temperature environments including Hypersonic systems.