Physical Sciences Inc., located just north of Boston in Andover, seeks well-qualified candidates for positions on our research team. The optical materials scientist position is intended for an individual who is interested in supporting and leading programs devoted to the design, development, and use of active photonic materials. An ideal candidate should be interested in a career devoted to applied research and development with strong experimental, hardware, and leadership skills, and should be interested in maturing technologies from concept to prototype. We seek both entry level (i.e., recent graduate) and intermediate level (at least 5 to 10 years of experience outside of academia) applicants interested in a dynamic combination of design, laboratory, and field work. The following technical skills are relevant:
• Optical material development
• Wet bench synthesis, including solution (sol-gel) processing of active and passive optical materials, batch and roll-to-roll processing
• Batch processing of nano-particle films and coatings
• Experience in Physical Vapor Deposition, Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD), Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD), lithography, thermal processing, or related technologies
• Optical and electronic characterization
• Including but not limited to visible and spectroscopy, electron microscopy, x-ray diffraction (XRD) spectroscopy
• Supports all aspects of product development and technology transfer efforts
• Assists in the transfer of process technologies from R&D to production and equipment into production.
Successful candidates will have the opportunities to contribute to ongoing programs and develop new programs in the following applications and technical areas:
• Thermal photonics
• Phase transition materials
• Electromagnetic (EM) and Radio Frequency (RF) shielding
• Integrated photonics
Candidates should be highly motivated individuals with a strong desire to develop independent research programs that draw on our team’s existing efforts and capabilities. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required as the candidate will participate in program reporting, professional presentations, and proposal writing.
PhD or Masters in Physics, Applied Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or related field is required.
For a list of company benefits, visit PSI benefits.