Physical Sciences Inc., located just north of Boston in Andover, seeks an entry-level to mid-level engineer (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or similar) to support R&D projects for advanced laser-based sensor systems. This Engineer will be a part of a multi-disciplinary team focused largely on the development and transition-to-production of optical sensing technologies used in environmental and industrial applications (e.g. greenhouse gas emissions reduction, process fluids sensors, standoff or airborne sensors). Recently, sensors developed and deployed include laser-based systems for the detection and quantification of ambient trace gases, or characterization of fuel streams, for the energy industry.
Key Job responsibilities include:
- Entry level candidate with B.S. (or greater) in Mechanical Engineering
- Demonstrated hands-on, laboratory testing experience
- Willingness to test and deploy sensor systems in the field
- Solid ability to communicate concepts, ideas, results to the interdisciplinary team
- Experience using CAD software (i.e. SolidWorks) to design, simulate, and procure components for assembly, demonstration, and test
- Willingness to learn on-the-job skills and wear multiple “hats”
- US citizenship is required
Additional desired skills:
- Experience with optical systems a significant plus
- Experience with benchtop electronics and diagnostic tools (i.e. oscilloscopes, multi-meters, power meters, lock-in amplifiers)
- Programming experiencing highly desirable (i.e. MATLAB, python, NI LabView or LabWindows, C/C++)
- Experience with data acquisition systems
- Modeling of physical (e.g. thermal) processes
- Optical sensing methods, spectroscopy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For a list of company benefits, visit PSI benefits.